focusraven.com

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Time

Several people have told me that time is going faster for them now than it has ever before. Feeling the same way, the natural question to answer is whether time itself is going faster. First of all, how could we measure it? If we used clocks, they would be going faster but show the same measure, so that's useless. We have to know how time is measured. It is based on astronomical observations. The first approximations were based on the rotation of the Earth relative to the sun, the next were by the observations of stars as they crossed a meridian, and the third is a look at distant quasars. Even now we are only accurate to microseconds. There is no exact measurement of time.

Well, then how could we know if time is going faster? We'd have to infer it, if we could, from those objects through which we determine time. The obvious factor that comes to mind, is that all observable objects in the universe are moving away from each other at an accelerating pace. At first thought it would seem that there would be a greater interval between the motions we observe, because our relative positions would be separating (that is, time would be slowing down). There are geometrical problems, however: the relation of movements between us and all the objects we are observing must be put on some fixed standard, if we are to understand how are observations are stretched or contracted. Proportions and other geometrical acrobatics would have to be utilized with the greatest skill to bring this theory to its fruition. I here only give you half-assed, provisional though. It is much easier to draw the rough outline of the skeleton than to draw the individual bones.

How would such a grand-scale cosmic stretching affect my daily life? Well, things here on Earth have motion. This motion is not independent of the grand motions out there. It is all connected. I leave linking the facts to you.

I present my theory: Observing the physical separation of all the bodies in the universe, they could very well be moving with them a medium through which or with which they move -- time. This time might very well be "stretching" or getting thinner, which would mean that EVERYTHING is getting faster. Are our feeble senses enough to detect this change? I feel it. Do you?

3 comments:

  1. Gosh. I live close to the edge too, but not so close as you. I hope you have access to shelter on those cold nights. I always thought if I lost my home I'd dig a burrow - hobbit style. Time faster? That's the way it seems to me too. Like we're close to that black hole and accelerating. Maybe time is a vortex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anne, for commenting. I made a list of the closest shelters; but I do have a warm sleeping bag that I put within another sleeping bag, and I have a hoodie and coat. I will avoid the shelters as best I can (the people...). Things may be different when the snow arrives, though I expect my emergency umbrella to serve handedly.

    One trouble today, is that all the land is owned by someone or the government; so who can just build where they want? Makes me want to move to someplace less "developed."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly recommend moving away from the cities if you are committed to freedom. All they seem to offer, from my experience, is job slave positions. Some higher, some lower, but still enslavement. I escaped that in my mid twenties, moved out into the woods, and though I still have social interactions, now they are less frenetic, manic, hysterical. Try it and you'll see what I mean. Plus, if you are okay with any shelter that is your own, and any work that is on your own terms, there always seems to be work out here. And I think people are more sympathetic.
    Mostly I am a democrat but the very sad thing about that party is they seem to do everything with laws, laws and more laws. When I was a kid and things were bad at home I always told myself I could leave. I could just walk out, and I wouldn't starve because I lived near the shore and there were always clams, and mussels, and winkles. I would be warm because there was always driftwood and I could make a fire. Now however beach fires are against the law, as is cutting fir boughs(my lean-to shelter), and you can only gather mussels and clams with a permit, and only from certain areas. Of course if big business had been controlled all the clam flats would be safe. Still there places, away from the now over developed Maine coast where a person of little means can live with some dignity.
    It's funny too how very unattractive the 'safety nets' offered by democratic interests are when you are in a position to need one.

    ReplyDelete